Asparagus and Sorrel Soup
- 1 bunch asparagus
- About two handfuls of sorrel leaves
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1-tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter or earth balance buttery sticks
- 3 tablespoons AP flour
- 24 -32 ounces of vegetable stock
- 1 cup almond milk
- Wash and dry the sorrel leaves
- Cut the asparagus into small cubes
- Chop onion, medium dice
- Mince garlic
- In a 4 quart dutch oven, add the onions, garlic, sorrel and asparagus to the bottom of the pot with the oil. Season with salt and pepper and sauté on medium heat until onions become translucent
- Add the butter and the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until combined with no lumps. The color should be a golden brown or straw color.
- Add 24 oz of the vegetable stock and stir constantly until it comes up to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. If the soup is too thick, add more stock
- After about 5 minutes, buzz the soup with an immersion blender, or pour it in stages into a standing blender. For this soup, I don’t buzz out all the lumps, I like a hint of texture.
- Bring back to a simmer and let cook on low heat for another 10 minutes.
- Add the almond milk and stir, keeping the heat low.
- Serve warm with a piece of crusty bread