- 1 lb young pink rhubarb, chopped to about 1/2 inch
- 2lb of small strawberries (picked in dry weather), husked and sliced
- 7 1/2 cups sugar
- grated zest and and freshly squeezed juice of 2 unwaxed lemons
- 1 oz fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 -4 ½ pint jam jars with new sterilized lids
- Wipe, trim and cut rhubarb and put into bowl with strawberries, sugar, lemon zest and juice. Cover and let stand overnight
- Crush ginger w/ Mortar and pestle, mince on a microplane (or blender) and add to fruit and sugar.
- Transfer fruit mixture to a saucepan and slowly bring to simmer, stirring constantly.
- Simmer until fruit has softened, then increase the heat and boil rapidly for 5 -10 minutes until jam reaches setting point.
- Once set-point is reached, skim jam w/ perforated skimmer and stir.
- Let stand for 20 minutes so the fruit can settle
- Ladle into sterilized jam jars and (leaving ½ inch from top), wipe the rims of the jars, cap them and process the jars in hot water until they reach a seal.