Some of my fondest memories of Elsie surrounded food. She would tell the stories of Greek Mythology while feeding me. I learned of how Hades stole Persephone from her mother Demeter through the residue that the hot chocolate left behind in the mug. Each time I took a sip of the chocolate, she told me more of the story.
I have often made egg noodles with cottage cheese when I needed comfort food, until I developed a dairy allergy. Each bite would bring me back to being six years old in my grandmother's kitchen.
For those who can eat dairy, and want a simple, plain and soul-filling meal. This is it.
It is a very simple dish to make.
- Boil egg noodles in salted water
- While the noodles are boiling, cut up bits of butter and put them in the bottom of a large bowl ( to taste)
- Then add the cottage cheese to the bowl (1/2 pint for 2 cups of cooked noodles)
- Drain the pasta and heap it over the cheese and butter.
- Stir to incorporate. The heat from the pasta will melt the cheese and butter.