• 1 large red onion, medium dice
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 large carrot, medium dice
• 1 parsnip, medium dice
• 3 stalks celery, medium dice
• 3 tablespoons of caul, duck or chicken fat
• 2 bay leaves
• 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup red wine
• 1 jar or can tomato paste
• 1 heaping spoonful of honey
• 30 oz chicken stock
In a small bowl, combine the honey, tomato paste and wine, and mix into paste.
In an oval Dutch oven, melt the fat over a medium to high heat. Sear the brisket on both sides then remove from the heat. Then add a bit more fat or vegetable oil and sear the vegetables until the onions become translucent.
Add the wine mixture, return the beef to the pot, add the chicken stock until it comes ½ way up the beef, then close the lid and bake at 250 until fork tender (4-6 hours).